it's been so long since i did a proper blog post - so long, that i've actually managed to finish two full garments. here's the first one - and my first time knitting a big project with one of my own yarns!
started: 21st march 2010
completed: 18th may 2010
pattern: "audrey in unst" by gudrun johnson, available from twist collective
needles: 3.5mm & 3.75mm addi circulars
yarn: old maiden aunt alpaca/silk sportweight in a "dyer's mistake" colourway; 375g/1050 yards
modifications: practically none! i added about 1" in length to both the body & the sleeves, between the ribbing section & the shaping (which also meant that i had to add extra buttonholes & extra buttons). i made the 40.5" bust size, which fits perfectly, with about 1.5" of negative ease (so i'm hoping that it will still fit after my weight-loss phase is over!).
the pattern is excellent - quite easy to knit, but with some lovely, thoughtful details which make it look really well-finished & clean. there's a beautifully simple lace bib & a tidy little icord neck edging - and then there's something that i can't believe i didn't know about before...
...seamless set-in sleeves. they're fantastic! i love the look & fit of set-in sleeves, but i hate hate HATE sewing them in - i had no idea that you could work them seamlessly, using picked-up stitches & short-rows, and i'll definitely be using this technique on future cardigans!!