Thursday, July 02, 2009

oh, canada

well, i survived the plane journey (and they even let me bring my knitting on board - i took a photo with my new iphone to prove it, but i can't figure out how to get the darn thing off the phone!) and made it safely to canada, where i've been spending time with family. there's an awful lot of us, so it was pretty hectic - but now everyone else has headed back to work & i'm just here hanging out with my wee mummy, so we can relax a bit/die of exhaustion. after the busy & intense family weekend, we were both pretty tired - but we did muster the energy to take a drive down to a local yarn store... and much to my surprise, i found quite a lot of interesting things!!

rose haven farm store purchases
fleece artist somoko sock yarn & two colours of merino/silk combed tops; habu textiles 100% linen


since i'm staying with my mum in my fairly small hometown, and the yarn store was in an even smaller town about 30 minutes' drive away, i was pleasantly surprised at the vast selection of fabulous yarns they had in stock (and my wallet was unpleasantly surprised at the amount of money falling out of it, but that's another story!). & although i brought plenty of sock yarn with me, i couldn't resist the bright grellow (green/yellow) somoko sock yarn, and balled it up at the store so i could start yet another pair of grellow monkey socks (i finished most of the first sock of that pair on the plane, and the second sock yesterday!).
it's been pretty strange being back in canada after so long. it's been at least five years since i've been back, and a lot has changed - but a lot has stayed the same as well, which is even stranger (but so far, at least, i've managed to avoid running into anyone i went to highschool with - fingers crossed i make it through the rest of the trip without seeing anyone from "the best years of my life"!!!). & am i missing scotland at all?

monkey socks, missing home


well, i'll let you be the judge of that...

6 comments:

Liz said...

Obviously grass green is your kryptonite colour when it comes to yarn. I have a similar reaction to very dark reds (which is why my stash is full of the stuff).

Flavaknits said...

Oh thank god I am not the only one who avoids ex-schoolmates! lol Looks like you are having a great time. I believe your stock levels may be getting lower (ahem!) !
Have fun.
Mx

Tartanqueen said...

Glad to hear your having such a lovely time, and well-deserved break:-)

Re: the picture on your iPhone. I don't have one, but I am able to email pictures I take on my phone - could you maybe email it to yourself and then somehow upload it to where you want??

I'm also able to upload camera-phone photos directly to my blog.

hope that helps

Tartanqueen

suzanne said...

Love the Grellow colour! I would love to knit socks especially monkeys! Have you ever thought of doing a sock knitting class at K1? I have done a few courses there and have really enjoyed them.

Karen said...

Love the sock color!

Sereknitty said...

Where in Canada are you staying? I'm in B.C.

Last summer I went to Scotland and now you're here!