Thursday, October 09, 2008

the mithril coat

this summer, i officially took a holiday from my sweater-a-month project - but what i didn't tell you was that i was still unofficially working away on a sweater. i worked on it over the summer while i was in the midst of tons of other things, and it's been waiting for buttons for a while now. well, the long-awaited buttons have finally arrived, and they were absolutely worth the wait...


the mithril coat 2

the mithril coat



project specs:
started: 18th july 2008
finished: 18th september 2008
pattern: what pattern? this is the simplest of simple cardis - a top-down, one-piece raglan in garter stitch. i made it up as i went along.
needles: 5mm for the yoke, 5.5mm for the midsection, and 6mm for the bottom - i created a slight a-line shape by increasing needle size as i progressed down the body rather than by adding stitches.
yarn: a souvenir from paris, the yarn is 100% gray silk tweed and roughly an aran weight. i only had four skeins of it (about 1000 yards), and ran out just at the end of my knitting, so i used less than a ball of noro silk garden to add the cuffs & the short-row triangular edgings. the yarn is gorgeous - despite its fairly rustic look, it's incredibly soft & drapey.
buttons: oh, the buttons - the finishing touch, from stonehouse supply on etsy. she custom-made me a set of buttons after i sent her a yarn sample - perfection!
& as for the name - i've been reliably informed by a die-hard Lord of the Rings fan that this cardi bears a striking resemblance to the mithril coat. i'm not sure if this means that i, therefore, bear a striking resemblance to a hobbit, but i'm sure it was meant as a compliment...

the mithril coat 1
hmmmm - does this cardi make my toes look hairy?

8 comments:

TangledFrog said...

Wowwwwwww. I'm going to need to see this one in person. That is just stunning. And a perfect style for you. One more time....Wowwwwwwww.

Joan said...

Absolutely lovely-- you'll be enjoying it for a long time (now I bet all that angst seems worth it)!

soCherry said...

What Lynette said! Wow! And I NEED to see this n person! Wow!

Flavaknits said...

Just beautiful! And the buttons compliment it perfectly.

Jennette said...

Beautiful, beautiful.

I've been lurking for quite a while now and finally have to wave hello. I love this cardigan. I'm filled with knitter envy.

Marina Moskowitz said...

Hi--I was in the K1 shop last week and had a chat with you about this sweater--I didn't realise you were 'old maiden aunt'!! I have some of your lovely merino/silk in fab green that I bought at K1 that is currently a half-made scarf! I was just looking up your OMA website to send to someone and jumped to your blog and thought hmmmm, this sweater looks familiar! I look forward to reading/seeing more.
With best wishes--Marinaals

Jeanne said...

That is absolutely gorgeous! It is amazing to me that people can just design their own patterns since I don't know that I'll ever be able to do that. It really is beautiful - great job!

roro said...

What a fantastic sweater!! It looks fabulous on you and the buttons - also fabulous. Trying to quell the sweater envy...