Friday, July 25, 2008

i'm dy(e)ing

over the past few weeks, truly enormous amounts of yarn have been arriving at my little seaside flat, in preparation for something exciting. all in all, 30 kilos of yarn have been delivered - i'm hoping to dye up most, if not all, of them before the trunk show, but it's slow going.
i'm not dyeing yarn full-time - i'm lucky enough to have a lovely part-time job, which keeps me (almost) afloat financially. but since i'm a one-woman show, that means that i have to fit dyeing in around my "real job", not to mention all the other house stuff like dog-walking, cleaning, laundry etc (which, since i work from home, is always immediately in front of me reminding me that it needs to be done!). all these other things take up a fair chunk of time, so i fit dyeing in where & when i can.
& to top it all off, since it's scotland, it rains a lot, which is not ideal for drying freshly-dyed yarn - the dampness in the air can mean that the dyed skeins take nearly three times longer to dry! so when we get a rare sunny day, like today, i go all out:

yarn drying on the terrace


i'd tell you how much yarn is there, but i've lost count. i've expanded my operation (i bought a second dye pot!) & i've been working flat out all day - washing, dyeing, cooking, steaming, cooling & rinsing yarn - & if you thought that dyeing yarn wasn't hard work, think again! fetching & carrying, lugging big pots of water about, lifting soaking wet yarn in & out of tubs, running back & forth to the terrace to hang up armfuls of dripping yarn - my feet hurt, my arms hurt, my back hurts, & i may, in fact, be dying. (ok, so that might be a little over-dramatic).
i think that earns me a day off, so i'm heading away for the weekend - we're cat-sitting for friends who have a swanky house with a nice garden, so i'm planning to spend all day tomorrow sitting in the garden (or the swanky house, depending on the weather!), knitting on my april shawl & listening to audio books (i treated myself to a basic subscription to audible, which i'm very excited about!).
& look - i even did laundry today!

yarn & socks!
wooly socks dry quicker in the sun, too

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Fingers crossed for good drying weather for you. Those yarns look great and I'm sure your hard work will be worth it. x K

TangledFrog said...

Wow - You go, girl! I'm so impressed!