Thursday, January 24, 2008

never getting up

i realise that the following statement may make me sound like a boring, middle-aged sort of person, but i'm going to say it anyways. the most exciting thing that has happened to me this week* is that we bought a brand-new mattress.
now, as someone who has (until recently) lived mostly in furnished rented flats, or who has mooched pieces of secondhand furniture from richer friends, i'm not used to buying "brand-new" things like this. in fact, the only other piece of furniture in the house that was bought new is my enormous oversized armchair, which i got around this time last year with money gifted from my lovely mum. the mattress we had been using was a hand-me-down from friends, which they gave to us when we moved into this flat nearly three years ago (& i don't know how long they had used it before then). needless to say, it was on its last legs, and had been so for at least a year before we finally decided the time had come to buy a new one.
well. i can't even tell you how comfortable the new mattress is. it's so comfortable that i may never get out of bed. and today, after dragging myself out for a walk with the pup (during which we got rained on, snowed on, and hailed on - all at the same time!) the bed is looking mighty tempting. wouldn't it be nice to just make a big mug of something hot, and crawl back into bed, just for a little while?.....
if you haven't seen me for a few days, just follow the scent of hot chocolate, and you'll find me:


i'll be here.


* ok, maybe the second most exciting thing - i finished the january sweater on sunday, a full week and a half ahead of schedule!! pictures as soon as i can convice the RSA to take some...

8 comments:

Midsummer night's knitter said...

I know how you feel - we got our bed from Ikea last week and my side is a fancy electric job that raises/lowers head and feet. Just think how easy knitting in bed would be....
Hope you are well chez vous,
India

meg(aphone) said...

My BF just bought a new mattress for Christmas! It is the most wonderful thing ever! Congratulations on your purchase..I wish you many happy hours of cuddling in warmth!

Flavaknits said...

Ah! never underestimate the power of a good mattress! Especially if you've ever had bad backs! (Its Granny from Flavaknits here!! lol)
And looking out at the weather , I heartily encourage you to get back in there - its a stormy outside!

Kathleen said...

Sleep tight! x K

Sharon said...

How exciting! We bought a new mattress a year or so ago and I don't like it. I used to get into my (obviously saggy) bed every night and think 'l love my bed, 'l love my bed' like some kind of mantra. Now, I think 'another night to get through on this hard rock'. I keep telling my DH that mattresses must be replaced every 18 months or terrible things happen, but he doesn't believe me .... yet.

TangledFrog said...

Just so long as you're out of bed by next tues for the knitting meetup...

heather said...

Oh I so know what you mean. But I have to tell you, we recently extended our mattress experience by adding a (synthetic !) down filled mattress enhancer to it !! It's like sleeping on a warm, fluffy cloud but with just enough firmness beneath it to rest aching muscles and sore backs. I went to bed early for a week just to be the first one in and get that lovely cool sheet, fluffy enhancer, firm but comfortable mattress experience all to myself :0))

TangledFrog said...

Heather tagged me and, in return, I am tagging you. Consider yourself tagged!