Tuesday, October 30, 2007

oh, dear...

... i've gone & done it now.

majacraft little gem 1


i spent saturday driving up to fife, to visit a mythical & glorious place, that i have oft heard of (from india) but never visited. when i came back home, it was with this in my back seat...

majacraft little gem 3majacraft little gem 5majacraft little gem 4


it's a brand-new majacraft little gem II spinning wheel - isn't it gorgeous?? it's a portable wheel that you can dismantle & pack up into a padded bag the size of a largeish sports tote. but although it's quite teeny, it's incredibly stable & solid to spin on, & so smooth to use - i'm completely in love. i can't stop spinning on it - i've been using it non-stop since i brought it home on saturday night. i've already spun up a full bobbin (& the bobbins are huge - they hold over 100 grams of fibre!) & started a second bobbin - i'm totally addicted.
here's what's on the wheel right now - sock hop superwash merino roving from crown mountain farms in "secret agent man".

majacraft little gem 2


the first batch of this roving that i spun up on my old wheel worked out at more of a DK weight than a sock weight. but this wheel is so easy to use that i'm spinning finer & finer singles on it, & i think that this might manage to be an actual sock-weight yarn (we'll see!). i'd like to blog more, but i have to go spin now...

3 comments:

Yosemite said...

Welcome to the world of Majacraft. I got my Little Gem at the end of August and I just LOVE LOVE LOVE her. I also bought the fast whorl because I am trying to get a fine lace weight. I've finally come closer since I bought the fast whorl than I ever have before. This wheel is fantastic. I am going to get a Suzie Pro by sometime next year because I am so pleased with how Majacraft makes their wheels. Enjoy.

Kathleen said...

Hi Lilith,
How's your wee kitten?

Rebecca said...

and how could you resist merino called "secret agent man"...
what's next? 007 ?

Rebecca