Monday, June 04, 2007

prizes for a good cause...

in my almost-year of blogging & my year-and-a-half-or-so of being part of the inter-knit world, it's come to my attention that knitters are some of the most kind & generous people on the planet. & here's yet another example - claudia, whose blog i came across through anne, is doing this, a two-day, 150-mile bike ride to raise funds for the National MS Society. & since knitters seem to band together in these acts of generosity, folk from all over the knitting world have donated a pile of prizes, which you can win by pledging money to her bike ride fund. as if that wasn't enough, anne is helping with the pledge push by matching $1 of her own cash to every $10 donated to claudia, and offering yet more prizes to folk who give money!
so, how do you get in on this amazing act of generosity, and win some great stuff to boot? just follow these 4 easy steps:
1) go look at claudia's prizes here, and anne's prizes here.
2) then, go to claudia's pledge page here, and donate whatever you can (if you're UK-based like me, think of it this way - even if you can only afford a fiver, that's $10 US with the current exchange rate!). there's also a link on claudia's blog sidebar if you'd rather donate through paypal - each $10 you pledge will give you one chance in the drawing for claudia's prizes.
3) after you've pledged, email anne at i_gaveATknitspotDOTcom (removing the words AT & DOT & replacing them with the symbols, of course), and tell her how much you gave; she'll match each $10 with $1, and add you to her prize draw, where you have the chance to win all kinds of cool stuff, including this:

little fish
"little fish" handspun from oldmaidenaunt; 70% bluefaced leicester/30& silk blend; a fine DK weight with 100 grams & 220 yards.


& to sweeten the pot even more...
4) once you've done all that (checked out the prizes, pledged to claudia, & emailed anne), come back here and either leave me a comment or email me. let me know that you've given something (it doesn't matter how much, as long as you give whatever you can!) & i'll put all the names in a hat and draw a winner for these babies:

01jun07
the yet-another-pair-of-monkey-socks, knitted especially for you!


what do you think - can we get claudia past her goal of $20,000? the bike ride starts on 24th june; make a donation before then, let anne & i know about it, and win cool stuff while helping people - what more could you want?

22 comments:

claudia said...

Wow! That is amazingly generous of you. Thanks so much.

Your point about the exchange rate is painful (for $$ based folks like me who love the UK) but quite a good one.

scarybez said...

Hey Lilith, because I'm a sucker for prizes (and want to support a fellow knitter and cyclist to raise money for a VERY good cause, of course!) I just went and sponsored Claudia. Well done on promoting this.
Sarah x

Michelle G said...

I gave a few weeks ago, and I'm donating handspun sock yarn...just as soon as it's spun. This whole ride, with everyone giving so much, just brings tears to my eyes.

Flavaknits said...

Hi Lilith , thanks for promoting this excellent cause - my little donation seems quite small in comparison to all these generous people who have donated prizes - Hope Claudia exceeds her $20k!

PiGrrrl said...

Hi Lilith, Thanking you for your generosity is a nice excuse to come check out your site. I'm happy to support Claudia's ride and explore your blog.

Heide said...

Lilith, thank you very much for such a generous donation for the MS cause. I donated several weeks ago as well, but my monitary offering doesn't begin to hold a candle to your sock knitting. The socks are beautiful and I hope they draw out lots more contributors.

5elementknitr said...

What a great cause and what an amazing chain reaction of support and prizes! I donated $10 and emailed Anne about it.

Bertha said...

Wow, that is so awesome of you! I'd love to be entered in the Monkey drawing! I donated about 2 weeks ago and emailed Anne about it. Thank you!

Meghan said...

Ooo just found your blog. I donated to Claudia earlier and would love to get in on the monkey prize! Thanks for your generosity!

Jeannie said...

You guys are all awesome, I donated to Claudia too, and I hope I will be able to again before she rides!!

lyssa said...

thanks Lilith!!

i donated to claudia a couple of weeks ago, but hadn't heard about your drawing as well! (cara over at january one clued me in - and i'm sure a lot of others too!)

put me in! :)

you can get ahold of me through skeinandable.wordpress.com

AuntieAnn said...

I donated money and emailed KnitSpot and I thank you for your generosity!

Carol said...

Hi! I just donated to Claudia and emailed Anne. Thanks for making it soooo easy to give to charity and for donating the socks!
Carol

Kate said...

Hi! I just donated as well. As with Carol, my thanks goes to you for making everything so easy! The socks look great too - a good incentive!

be squared said...

I donated, too. Thank you for adding yet another generous incentive for a great cause.

--Deb said...

I've donated a couple times, now. Good for you for helping!!

Easter C said...

I donated too. I am a knitter with MS, so this is my favorite cause!

Ann-Marie said...

i gave to claudia and i e-mailed anne too.
monkey socks!! yeah!!!

mamacate said...

I donated and let Anne know--thanks for making this a great community effort!

Not That Kat said...

I was planning to give even without your prize, or Anne's prizes, but since you're offering, I gave today

Lynda said...

Lillith,

Thanks for the donation of your time and skill. I had been putting off donating for no good reason, but I went today and donated. I will email Anne as soon as I get done here.

Katinka said...

I donated this morning. :)