Thursday, May 17, 2007

a cry for help

it's been gray & rainy today, so to cheer myself up, i did some sock yarn experimentation. i've been plotting & planning for a while about dyeing up a self-striping version of my hand-dyed sock yarn, so after a little swatching, a little math (eek! math!), & a little measuring out of yarn skeins, this happened...

17may07


since this was experimental, i took the opportunity to use up some of my least favourite colours of my kool-aid stash; that way, once i've perfected my self-striping-dyeing-technique, i can move on to colours that aren't quite so.... well...

candy bright sock yarn


i think the phrase is, "crazy-ass bright".
in theory, each skein should knit up to make socks striped with three rows of each colour (orange/green socks or orange/pink socks). but in reality?
that's where i need help - that is to say, a test knitter, who can whip me up a sample sock to test the stripe pattern. you need to be able to knit a bog-standard, 60 stitch top-down sock with a ribbed cuff & a heel flap, & do it fairly quickly - say, within two weeks at the most. then, you need to take some decent quality pictures of the modelled sock & email them to me, as well as giving me some basic feedback on the yarn. in exchange, you get to keep the test skein of sock yarn & the sample sock, and knit up the second sock in your own time so you end up with a pair of crazy-ass bright socks for yourself!
if this sounds appealing to anyone, leave me a comment - first commenter gets it (although i'd prefer someone relatively close geographically, so i might give preference to UK folk - sorry). let me know if you want orange/green or orange/pink, and i'll send you out the yarn as soon as it dries...

** edited to add: india gets it!! can't wait to see the sample sock...

7 comments:

Midsummer night's knitter said...

Well, since you asked so nicely.... if you bring it tomorrow I'll cast it on there and then and whip it up!
India
(Cos I like crazy-ass bright!)

Midsummer night's knitter said...

oh, and I think I'd like to try the green/orange combo....
India

scarybez said...

damn it, India's just too quick!

thomasina said...

Hey - if you still need a test knitter I could do the orange/pink.

Liz

soCherry said...

looks really cool - i cant wait to see how this turns out! [it takes me about 5 months to knit a sock tho so I'll not volunteer my services!]

xx

Kathleen said...

Very zingy- hope test knitting goes well.

Midsummer night's knitter said...

Well, I don't have a photo' to show you yet, Lilith, but it's knitting up a treat...
India