Tuesday, October 03, 2006

twice as lucky

can you believe, i forgot "lucky tuesday" last week? so today, i'll have to be twice as lucky...
today, i am lucky because i got to pick up my ring that i had ordered from bethsy gray (scroll down) a couple of weeks ago. she does amazing silver jewellery & i have a couple of smaller pieces already, which i love. when my gran died she left us all a small amount of money (which my mum made bigger by adding in some of her inheritance as well - thanks mum!) & i had planned to use some of the money to buy a really special piece of jewellery to remember my gran, but hadn't found anything i liked yet. luckily for me, bethsy gray takes commissions, so i was able to get her to make exactly what i wanted. i hadn't expected to be able to pick it up today - when i commissioned the ring she had just had an operation on the tendon in her wrist and was having a hard time working, so she didn't know how long it would take, and i had prepared myself for a long wait.


unfortunately the flash washed out some of the colour - it's a much deeper purple in real life (do you know how hard it was to take even a half-decent picture?!). it's silver with a boulder opal set into a very chunky setting - huge & flamboyant (totally unlike my wee unassuming scottish gran, but quite me!) but somehow extremely comfortable to wear - i love it. now i just have to be careful not to inadvertently injure someone (or myself) with my new massive knuckle-duster.
and (and i can't believe i haven't mentioned this before now, because she did it ages ago - i'm so ungrateful!) i am lucky because the lovely elaine sent me a gift voucher for posh yarn, so i get to browse their website to my heart's content looking for something luxurious, all without spending any money. i'm on a sort of yarn diet at the moment, as (apart from inheritance-funded ring buying!) i'm very short of cash - illness-forced inability to take any work will do that to you. i'm trying not to spend money on yarn or fibres, or any other "luxuries", so i'm saving the gift voucher until i'm absolutely desperate to buy some new luxury yarn, and then i can do it guilt-free thanks to elaine.

lucky, lucky me....

2 comments:

soCherry said...

:)
Elaine xx

anne said...

THAT is the ring i've been wanting—no kidding, i've been looking for somethin like that for a long time!