Monday, June 26, 2006

as long as you've got chilli

well, since my resident sock photographer is away to london for work-related training fun & hilarity, i've been left to my own devices for a few days. & it's weird. when you've lived with someone for a while, it becomes strange to have the house to yourself. it's almost too quiet, and it doesn't seem right to go to sleep on your own. & although i often tend towards quiet & solitude, i don't like being in the house by myself at night - i have some auditory problems which lead to me being incapable of locating noises, so i get all paranoid & start barricading the doors if i hear any odd sounds. plus, i read too many crime novels, & i'm sure that doesn't help!
& when you're used to someone else being around, you also get used to the little things they do, & sometimes you forget that they need to be done at all, because they just get done by the other person as if by magic. when i'm home alone, i have to remember to clean the cat litter, walk the dog, feed the pets, all on my own. and also, importantly, i have to remember to feed myself. i'm a horrible, terrible cook; i can barely make beans on toast. and i don't often have much motivation when it comes to food; since i'm so terrible at cooking, i'll just go for whatever's easy (when i lived on my own, i ate a lot of sandwiches. i also weighed about 30lbs less, but that's another story.). so because my live-in sock appreciator knows that about me, she's left a pot of home-cooked chilli in the fridge - because she knows that otherwise i'll just end up eating crisps & ice cream for tea. & that you're not so alone, as long as you've got chilli.

4 comments:

roro said...

This post freaked me out a little, because it is like we're the same person. I love solitude, but freak out at night after hearing noises and watching too many crime shows - the fish get fed too late - and making food is such a chore that I'll eat crackers for every meal if the gf doesn't stock the fridge a little first before she goes away.

But home-cooked chilli? Now that's love.

tigerlilith said...

yep, definitely love! the fridge was stocked before depature as well (although i did finish the ice cream last night anyways). & i was so excited to be added to your blog, ridiculously so. :) i went to university in hamilton & thus spent a lot of time in TO - it would be funny if we'd already met IRL, eh? xo

roro said...

It WOULD be funny! Stranger things have happened . . .

As for adding you to the blogroll, how could I not? Your blog has EVERYTHING: knitting, Scotland, lesbians, dogs. Love it!

veritas said...

my cooking is terrible as well.... at the moment, i have a weeks worth of some exotic asian soup in the fridge that was cooked for me. happyface.

and i am with roro.
knitting scotland lesbians and dogs summs up my wishlist of things for the world. :)